Error 8504, 101 can occur due to either a failed installation when upgrading or by having another security product already installed on your computer. To resolve it, uninstall any non-Norton security product.
You can consult either the program documentation or contact its manufacturer for instructions on uninstalling non-Norton security products from your computer.
- Pressing Windows + R will launch the Run dialogue box.
- Enter text here, then press Enter.
- Select the non-Norton security product in the list of currently installed programs, then right-click and choose Uninstall/Remove to uninstall or remove.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the uninstall is completed, restart your computer.
- If the problem persists, move to Step 2.
STEP 2 | Launch the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool
If Norton Family is installed, ensure it has been deleted before running the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- Download and install Norton Uninstall/Reinstall Tool now.
- Downloading the Windows XP-compatible Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- Please save the file directly onto your Windows desktop, while some browsers automatically save it to its default location.
- To access your Downloads window in your browser, press Ctrl + J.
- Double-click the NRnR icon.
- Read through and agree to the license agreement before clicking Agree.
- Click Advanced Options
- Click Remove Only
- Click Remove
- Click Restart Now
Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall Norton products. If any difficulties arise during installation, refer to Download Norton device security product on your device for assistance or uninstall and reinstall Norton Family as necessary.